Monday, November 28, 2011

Updates



I was originally going to post today about some recipes I have recently tried, but seeing as how I am still STUFFED from Thanksgiving, I could not bare to look at photos of food. So instead, I thought this would be an excellent time to update you on recent projects.
The first update has to do with the wall vase project. 


When I made these wall vases I was thrilled that I would always have fresh flowers in the house. I love the smell of fresh flowers. As much as I wish, scented candles and plug in air fresheners just can not compete with fresh flowers. 
After about a week of the fresh flowers hanging out on the wall, they began wilting which means the water needed to be changed.




 I spent quite awhile staring at the vases trying to figure out how to do this.

There was no way I was going to unwrap the wire and redo it after cleaning the vases. The blocks of wood were too large to try to maneuver in my sink. 
I hate fake flowers. They don’t smell like springtime. I think they are obvious and I’ve always associated fake flowers/plants with little old ladies in weird smelling houses. 
It took me awhile, but I realized I had no choice. I had to use fake flowers. 




Turns out, they aren’t too bad. I vow to keep the faux foliage to this small section of our home - but for now, they will do. 
The other update I have for you has to do with my original craft, the sunburst mirror made with paint sticks. 



Ever since I hung that behind the couch, I’ve wanted to do something else, to add something. The wall is too big to only have one piece of decor. 
My sister, Sly, came up with the idea of doing mini versions of the mirror and place them on either side. I thought I would do 3 on each side. 

My first thought was to use wooden stirrers from Starbucks, those are free just like paint sticks. 

Unfortunately GB and I make coffee at home everyday so I’m rarely at Starbucks to grab the sticks. 
I found similar sticks at the local craft store so I bought a big pack, small round mirrors, small embroidery hoops and small pieces of wood for the backing. 




I cut the sticks in half (well, really I just broke them in half).  Then I laid them all flat to spray paint. 



This was a really annoying task. The force from the spray paint would send the little sticks flying. They were wet with paint so this made them stick together. Typically, I was infuriated. A half hour later they were dry, and I began gluing the sticks around the mirror.





When all was said and done - this is what I had. 


I was less than thrilled. I thought it looked very ‘arts and crafts’ rather than cute and crafty. I wanted to think about it for a day or so to decide if I wanted to continue making these and put them up. 

The next day when I picked it up, the embroidery hoop fell off. I think that was a sign. These baby mirrors are a no go. Back to the drawing board. 


No comments:

Post a Comment